Editor’s note: I earn commissions from partner links on Forbes Advisor. Commissions do not affect editors’ opinions or ratings.
Experienced rewards credit card users know where to earn the most points on every purchase and how to get big sign-up bonuses when opening a new account, but by referring a friend Did you know you can earn bonus points for American Express Membership Rewards?
If you already have an Amex card and think it’s a good fit for a friend, you’ll have the opportunity to earn thousands of extra points by referring your unique code. Continue reading to learn more about the American Express Refer-a-Friend Program and how to use it.
Find the Best American Express Credit Cards for 2023
What is Amex Refer a Friend?
Refer a Friend is a program that allows you to earn bonus Amex points by referring someone you know to sign up for a card that is currently open and listed in your American Express online account.
View your current refer-a-friend offers by logging into your American Express online account
The number of points you earn depends on your card and current bonus offers. For example, referrals to The Platinum Card® from American Express typically double the 15,000 points bonus (terms and conditions apply, see Rates & Fees) to 30,000 points. If you use your points wisely, a flight to and from the United States is enough.
If you enjoy your Amex card, your friends and family are more likely to enjoy it too. If you’re talking to someone about credit cards and they’re interested in getting the same card as you, send them your referral link so they can both get valuable bonuses. to
Bonuses received may only come in the form of points. For example, the Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® card (terms and conditions apply; see Fees & Fees) gives you a $25 statement credit, and if your friend has Amazon Prime, they can use Amazon. com gift card is provided.
Featured Partner Offers
American Express Platinum Card®
5x reward rate
Earn 5 Membership Rewards points for every dollar spent on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.Earn 5 Membership Rewards everyread more
Earn 80,000 points
See Payover Time APR
Excellent/Good (700 – 749)
The Platinum Card is aimed at frequent travelers looking to take full advantage of a wealth of luxury travel benefits and Platinum Concierge services. Done right, the classic status card’s staggering annual fee is well justified.
pros and cons
- High reward potential for flights and hotels booked with American Express Travel
- Multiple credits help justify fees
- Comprehensive airport lounge access
- Exclusive travel benefits and Hilton and Marriott membership benefits and elite status
- annual fee is very high
- Maximizing statement credit takes some work and may not be feasible for many
- Non-travel reward rates are below par for premium cards
- Earn 80,000 Membership Rewards® points when you spend $6,000 on your new card during the first 6 months of your card membership. Apply and choose your preferred metal card design from the Classic Platinum Card®, Platinum x Kehinde Wiley, or Platinum x Julie Meheretu.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on flights booked directly with an airline or American Express Travel and 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Get $200 back in statement credit each year on any prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection reservation with a minimum two-night stay through American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Every month when you use your Platinum Card® to make a qualifying purchase on at least one of Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM and The New York Times Up to $20 will be refunded. Registration required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Monthly Walmart+ membership costs of $12.95 are covered with a statement credit after you pay your monthly Walmart+ fees with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax. Plus-up is out of scope.
- American Express expands Centurion® Network to include more than 40 Centurion lounges and studios worldwide. Find more locations with free admission and exclusive benefits with your Platinum Card®.
- $200 Airline Credit: Earn up to $200 in statement credit (baggage) per calendar year and more on any one eligible airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and get up to $200 in annual Uber discounts on US rides or food orders. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status are only available to Basic Card Members.
- Earn up to $300 per calendar year on eligible Equinox Club memberships when you pay with the Equinox+ digital fitness app or Platinum Card. Registration required. learn more.
- With CLEAR® lanes at over 100 airports, stadiums and entertainment venues, you can easily get through security, use your card and get back up to $189 per calendar year with your membership. learn more.
- $695 annual fee.
How to refer a friend on amex app
To refer someone, you’ll need to find a unique sign-up link in the American Express app. website or app[お友達紹介]Search the page or follow the link. There you can copy the link and share it with your friends via text message or social media. If emailing,[電子メールで参照]Use the box to ensure references are counted.
Amex automatically tracks referrals when someone signs up using your code. If they are approved and receive a new card from your referrer, you both get the advertised bonus.
Referrers must sign up using a link and not directly from the American Express website in a browser or Google. Otherwise, you may miss the bonus.
How to send amex referral link
Your computer or mobile phone web browser will display a referral link similar to the one below. You can copy and paste the link and share it via text or social media. Sending a link via text message or messenger-style app is one of the easiest ways to refer someone and ensure that you both earn bonuses.
in your web browser[コピー]Click to save the link to your clipboard. Then paste the link into a message or post to share.
You can invite one or more people by email using the email referral feature. You must enter your friend’s name and email address here. You are both eligible to receive the bonus if you signed up through the email they receive from her Amex.
How long does it take to get the Amex referral bonus?
According to American Express, referral bonus points will be posted to your account within 8-12 weeks for eligible referrals. If it takes your friends weeks to sign up, it can take months to get your rewards, so don’t plan on using the bonus until you receive it.
If you think you received a bonus, but you still don’t see it in your account after 12 weeks, please contact American Express customer support via email or live chat to understand what happened.
Why am I not eligible for Amex Refer a Friend?
Not all American Express accounts are eligible for the Refer a Friend Program and there is a cap on how many you can earn each year. The Platinum Card® from American Express and the Amex EveryDay® Credit Card currently have an annual limit of 55,000 points.*, for example, no matter how many friends you have introduced. If you have multiple amex he accounts and want to get the full bonus every time you sign someone up, hold off referring new people until next year.
This program is currently only available to primary cardholders of US consumer or business American Express card accounts. Additional cardholders and employee cardholders are not eligible. Points can only be earned and redeemed if your referral account is open. You cannot earn a referral bonus by referring someone with your card or using someone else’s referral link.
Due to privacy rules, we will not notify you of your friend request status. The only way to know if they’re approved is if they tell you. For example, if you are a blogger or have a large mailing list, you may not share it with the general public and earn rewards according to the Program Rules.
Emailing the link to anyone is specifically prohibited. You can only sign up by email using the form provided by American Express. The rules also require you not to lie or mislead your friends about how the cards work.
If you break the rules and get caught, the best-case scenario is that you won’t get any bonus points. In some cases, rewards may be “reclaimed” (deducted from your account) by American Express. In the worst case, your card account may be closed. So please follow the rules of the program.
Find the Best Credit Cards for 2023
There is no one best credit card for every family, every purchase, and every budget. We’ve picked the best credit cards in a way that’s designed to be the most helpful for a wide variety of readers.
Multiple American Express cards can earn you hundreds of thousands of points per year. That might be enough for a dream vacation to Hawaii, an adventure abroad, or an annual homecoming to visit family.
If someone is trying to sign up for an Amex card, it costs nothing to go through your link. Referring a friend can in some cases lead to better rewards than you would find elsewhere.This makes the refer a friend program a win-win for you and your friends . When they sign up, your biggest problem is figuring out where to travel next.
Leave a Reply