Strength training offers a variety of mental and physical health benefits. Here are some of the most notable benefits of strength training, according to experts.
Increase muscle size and strength
Strength training can help increase muscle size and strength, says Dr. Matarazzo. It also helps increase power (the combination of speed and strength), which can improve training performance in sports and other physical activities.
Studies also show that strength training, combined with proper diet and adequate rest, can lead to more pronounced muscle growth (hypertrophy).
improve cardiovascular health
Your heart is a muscle that needs regular exercise to stay healthy and strong, says Dr. Matarazzo, so strength training can help improve cardiovascular function by strengthening your heart and lungs.
Regular strength training helps increase your aerobic capacity. This means you can do more physical activity for longer without feeling tired. Studies show that strength training may also lower resting blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and the risk of cardiovascular disease.
increase bone density
Strength training can help stimulate bone growth and increase the strength of existing bone, thus increasing bone density and reducing overall bone loss, says Dr. Matarazzo. Studies recommend strength training at least twice weekly for optimal bone health-related results.
Bone density, which represents the amount of minerals contained in bones, is important in preventing fractures and other bone-related diseases such as osteoporosis. People at high risk for bone-related diseases, such as postmenopausal women and people who smoke tobacco products, should consider adding strength training to their exercise routine.
Stabilize and protect joints
Joint health is essential for maintaining an active and healthy lifestyle. Knees, hips, and shoulders are all susceptible to injuries and ailments such as osteoarthritis, especially as we age. Helps improve functionality.
Strength training also helps improve posture and balance as joints get stronger, adds Kelly Middleton, M.D., an orthopedic surgeon and sports medicine specialist at Northside Hospital in Atlanta.
reduce body fat
Body fat loss is another benefit of strength training, especially when combined with aerobic exercise and a balanced diet, says Dr. Middleton. Helps burn calories. This is a process called post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC) and allows her body to burn more calories throughout her day. Studies show that exercises such as high-intensity interval training (HIIT) and sprint interval training (SIT) may be more effective in activating EPOC.
In addition, strength training helps reduce body fat by increasing a person’s metabolic rate.Because muscle tissue is more metabolically active than adipose tissue, people with more muscle mass tend to have higher metabolic rates. . This increase can also affect body composition.
Supports mental health
According to a 2021 study, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Healthstrength training can help improve mental health by reducing symptoms of anxiety and depression.
Strength training can be a powerful form of self-care, says Luke Zocki, author and head trainer at Cent, a digital health, fitness and mindset program. Body connection can boost self-confidence, improve mood, and boost brain power, he says.
improve sleep quality
Studies suggest that strength training can also help improve sleep quality. This is essential for physical and mental health and may help reduce fatigue and boost energy levels throughout the day.
Regular strength training also helps your body adapt to normal sleep patterns and improve the stiffness and pain that cause sleep disturbances.Cheerleader.
Studies show that high-intensity training can make it harder to fall asleep, so strength training shouldn’t be done within 90 minutes of bedtime.
You may also be interested in Featured Partner Fitness Programs
The Future – 1:1 Digital Personal Training
- One-on-one with a fitness coach for unlimited custom personal training
- Match your perfect coach and work out from anywhere
- Track your progress with the Future app
- First 30 days of Future training can be canceled
Caliber Online Fitness Coaching
- Transform your fitness with science-based workouts
- A flexible nutrition plan that incorporates your eating habits and activity level
- Track your strength progress and body composition
- Match you with an elite personal trainer who understands your goals
Jogo running plan
- A personalized training plan based on your needs and goals
- Weight loss tracker helps you manage your weight
- Joggo app allows GPS tracking and activity history
- Providing educational content and voice guidance
found a weight loss program
- Get one-on-one medical, nutrition, and exercise guidance from experts
- Board Certified Clinician with Special Training in Weight Loss
- Find the right weight loss drug that fits your unique biology
- Virtual appointments, no in-person office visits required
obé on demand fitness class
- Discover thousands of classes designed to make you shine
- Enroll in yoga, cardio, sculpting, dance, pilates and more
- Effective training in as little as 10 minutes
- Power up at home, outdoors, at the gym or on the go
(Note: Product details and pricing are current as of publication date and are subject to change.)