W.Those looking for statistical relevance to just 50 worlds will be disappointed, but there are still some insights and facts (perhaps factoids) that can be gleaned from the 2023 data. Forbes World’s Most Influential CMOs list. Consider two buckets of numbers.
2. companies they manage
CMOs Of the 50 CMOs honored on this year’s list:
- Twenty-five companies made their debut on the 11th Annual Forbes list of the world’s most influential CMOs.
- This year’s 50 list is made up of an equal number of women and men.
- This year’s list includes, for the first time, four CMOs from private companies, which were not considered in previous years. They are his CMOs for (in alphabetical order) Canva, FIFA, the National Football League, and New Balance.
- By 2023, certified CMOs received, on average, 6x more media mentions compared to all eligible CMOs.
- On average, they appeared in high-profile media almost four times more often than other qualified CMOs.
- Media coverage of these 50 CMOS companies yielded positive sentiment scores that were on average 50% higher than those of other CMOs.
- CMOs on this year’s list received, on average, seven times more mentions on Twitter than other CMOs.
- As the Sprnklr report shows in more detail, data inputs and variables span five dimensions of influence. Visibility in the CMO community. Brand awareness, sentiment, and prominence. Campaign attention and prominence. and financial performance.
- Some very influential CMOs manage brands that have a lot of traction online, but CMOs and brand awareness don’t go hand in hand. An influential CMO can draw significant attention to their brand without generating the same level of attention as their social media presence. And some of his 50 certified CMOs are leading brands with a small following, yet still able to garner significant attention and influence once again. Both types of his CMOs appear on this year’s list, but the CMOs that appear higher in the rankings are typically those who appear frequently in online press and conversations.
- Only one CMO was inducted into this year’s CMO Hall of Fame class.Morgan Flatley, McDonald’s Global CMO, He Would Look 5th Became the 19th member to be inducted into the Forbes CMO Hall of Fame.
companies they manage
Companies whose brands and businesses are managed by certified CMOs this year include:
- World’s Most Valuable Company (Apple)
- Largest company in the Forbes Global 2000 (JP Morgan Chase).
- World’s largest retailer (Walmart) and largest U.S. company by revenue (also Walmart)
- Most Valuable Luxury and Spirits Company (LVMH)
- World’s Best Brewery (ABI)
- World’s largest restaurant business (McDonald’s)
- China’s largest e-commerce company (Alibaba), if not the world’s
- 1st (Netflix), 2ndnd (Disney), the world’s largest media company based on market capitalization.
- 43 out of 50 CMOs represent global/multinational brands and businesses.
Combined market capitalization of 41 individual publicly traded companies on the list for which data is available as of the market close on June 9, 2023 (i.e. private companies such as Canva and New Balance, as well as Cartier and Not including private companies like ESPN (e.g. when integrated into a holding company) is US$9.167 trillion
- The 41 companies have an average market capitalization of $223 billion.
- Apple has the largest valuation at $2.85 trillion, accounting for 31% of the consolidated total.
- American Eagle is the smallest with a market capitalization of US$2.35 billion.
In terms of employees, the total for the 50 companies is:
- We employ nearly 12 million people in over 150 countries around the world. This is a significant increase compared to his 2022 list, which reflects a total of 8.1 million employees.
- Walmart is the largest employer, employing 2.3 million people, nearly 20% of the total.
- An Australian-based company, Canva is the smallest of the 50 companies with 2,000 employees.
- Founded in 2012, Canva is also the youngest company on the 2023 list.
- Here are the oldest individual brands found within companies on this year’s list: Chateau Yquemfounded in 1593 and now part of the LVMH portfolio.
Geographically, 50 leading companies are headquartered in 13 countries around the world.
- 28 companies are based in the United States. Of his other 22 companies, 13 are headquartered in her EU countries, which together with the US make up 82% of his total.
- Within the EU, Germany and France each have the most representative companies headquartered.
- Great Britain: 2
- China: 2
- India: 2
- Belgium: 1
- Canada: 1
- Australia: 1
- Ireland: 1
- Italy: 1
- South Korea: 1
- Switzerland: 1
Of the 50 companies represented, only 7 have non-global/multinational operations.